SchoolTime is a new generation of Enterprise software that aims at reducing unnecessary overheads for its customers. Such overheads are definitely unnecessary for small institutions with less than 5000 students who can otherwise use this Student Information System at a very small budget. Larger institutions may still continue to consider hosting SchoolTime on their own servers (Cloud/On Premise) since they may have the budget and adequate resources.
In any enterprise software scenario, following are the over heads of on premise installation:
- A web based software is not a static web site. It consumes a lot more server resources as it frequently establishes connections with the database. So, if you think that you have hosted your own website and can also host any enterprise software, you need to think twice. You need a much powerful server when compared to a website hosting. You need an expert level resource as well as sophisticated monitoring software to ensure that your server is optimised for various transactions that happen on your software. Optimisation has to be done at Application levels, Server Levels, Security Levels, Browser Levels and more. Additional costs are that of High end powerful Servers, Server Monitoring Software and Expert Resource.
- Securing an enterprise software requires expertise. You need to spend additionally on purchasing a suite of security software that can ensure unwanted elements from accessing it. It usually constitutes 7 layers of security and frequent security audits by 3rd party consultants who charge exorbitantly. Security settings of the server is never a one time activity as new types of Trojans and Virus keep coming and hence the server too needs to be checked against all these new threats. Additional costs are that of Security Software and Expert Resource.
- All server environment software needs to be continuously checked for patch updates. Some of these are for security reasons, while others are new improved functionality. For the enterprise software, the updation of the software itself requires additional resources who can run the update patches and ensure that the integrity of the software is sustained without any data loss. Good software companies release functionality improvement updates very frequently – which is a sign that they are investing continuously in improving the software. This would result in the end customer having to hire a dedicated trained resource to keep updating the enterprise software which in itself is a complicated processes. Additional costs are that of an Expert Resource.
- End user support for on premise hosted application becomes the responsibility of the customer since the application is not under control or observation by the providing company. This would need to set up a complete multi channel customer support system, failing to do so will result in no adoption of the software by the end users and failure of the project in itself. Additional costs are that of Customer Software and Team of Customer Support Executives.
- Backup and Recovery is another critical aspect. You need to have an exact replica of your production server in a different geo-physical location. You also need to invest in backup and recovery software that can take regular backups and capable to restore the entire application in a short period. Production servers may get corrupt or crash due to various reasons beyond your control and supervision which will affect the uptime of your application and prevent you from critical recovery of your data.
These are the some of the major reasons why SchoolTime offers its solution on an easy to use cloud based SaaS model. Our resources are trained and dedicated to ensure that all these obligations are met and sometimes even exceeded. The entire cost behind these activities are distributed among thousands of Institutions so as not to burden just one customer. Our customers enjoy using the software trouble free without having to know what goes behind in ensuring their pleasant experience.
We also provide managed services to our Enterprise Clients. This is as good as outsourcing your IT department to SchoolTime. Please contact us for more information on this Managed Services.