Advantages of SaaS Applications
SaaS- Software as a Service applications are giving the traditional install base software a run for their money. Everyday, users are appreciating SaaS applications more than the traditional software solutions. Apart from the convenience of get to evaluate a SaaS application completely before purchase (which does not always happen with traditional install software), users find many more Advantages of SaaS applications.
- Affordable: Needless to say, that the world is moving on from software solutions that once used to cost them millions of dollars. These days, with just a couple of dollars per month, we can use some of the world’s best software solutions. The reduction or elimination of CAPEX is a significant contribution of the software industry to the world.
- Quick Deployment: We remember the times, when a software solution used to take a year or even more to deploy. This would also had required significant contributions from key team players within the organisation, who had to leave their regular work and get into deployment full time. With SaaS, its just matter of days not years.
- Reduced Time to Benefit: With reduction in time to deploy, organisations can now immediately start reaping benefits of the application.
- Scalability and Integration: With traditional software, scalability was a big exercise in itself. Every time the organisation out grew the capacity, experts had to be called in, system went down for weeks, and significant money went into the pipes who just scale up the infrastructure. With SaaS, customers don’t even get to know when the application infrastructure was scaled up to facilitate growth.
- No Infrastructure Purchase or Maintenance: Hardware sizing and procurement was a big exercise earlier. An equal amount of money, if not more, had to be spent to purchase hardware to run traditional applications. Expert resources had to be hired to ensure that the hardware and infrastructure was maintained. Yet there were crashes and downtime. With SaaS, people do not buy hardware at all, they do not hire experts, and they are not concerned about the infrastructure as long as the application is accessible.
- Trouble Free Upgrades: Upgrading traditional software was another major hurdle. Year on year, software companies used to charge customers heavy software upgrade fees, and during upgrades, the application was not available for use. With SaaS, no one even remembers the pain in upgrades!
- Back up and Recovery: A significant amount of money and expertise were involved in creating and maintaining regular backups, and then subsequent recovery whenever there was a failure. All these had too much dependence on people. SaaS applications have created seamless backup systems which neither charge the customer nor pass on any trouble.
- High Adoption: Many of these reasons also contributed to quick and high adoption within organisations. Moreover, SaaS applications being designed to be user friendly, the entire formal training of end users have been done away with. End users these days, just receive access to the SaaS applications and start using them straight away.
- Work Anywhere: And with the SaaS applications being made available 24 x 7 x 365, with access through any web browser, users can use the application and work from anywhere. They need not come to office always, nor sign into their VPN to use it. Sophisticated security systems for SaaS applications have done away with so many ancillary systems required to run a traditional software.
What would you prefer? Vote for it.